On an unseasonably warm October day, Legacy gathered in the beer garden of the Corner Brewery in Ypsilanti to celebrate our volunteers at our first Volunteer Appreciation event since 2018.
Under the backdrop of stunning blue skies, dappled sunlight, and falling leaves, it was a wonderful fall evening dedicated to honoring the people who are integral to Legacy’s work. Legacy staff and volunteers mingled with each other while enjoying delicious food and drink before executive director Diana Kern thanked the group for their dedication and support.
“Because of the pandemic, it has been quite a while since we’ve been able to gather in person and share how much we appreciate our volunteers. However, in that time, our volunteers have only increased in number and hours of support. Since July 2019, 247 volunteers donated 8,185 hours, which is worth about $246,784 and for a non-profit, this is a huge impact,” Executive Director Diana Kern said.
“To each and every one of you: Thank you. Thank you for another wonderful year of protecting southern Michigan. Your support and the time you spend helping advance our mission is so impactful. We’re so grateful to be supported by such a dedicated, fun-loving, and passionate community like the one in this beer garden tonight.”
Staggering Stats – Since July 2019:
- 247 volunteers donated a total of 8,185 hours
- 179 volunteered for the first time
- 855 hours contributed by 40 photomonitors who traversed a total of 7,350 acres
- 565 hours contributed by 161 volunteers caring for our 7 nature preserves; last year alone, more than 1,000 pounds of herbaceous invasive plants were removed!
- 1 volunteer logged over 300 hours transcribing virtual board and committee meetings